Drop installing an MSI if I cannot get admin rights

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I would like to create an installer like Dropbox has. It will install the application in %APPDATA% and if the user is not able to get admin rights the shell extension part of the installer will not be installed. Dropbox is able to detect that admin rights are missing and inform the user about the consequence. This would be great, but not a showstopper.

I've tried in standard Burn and split my application into two different MSI. The reason was that I thought the vital="no" would help me. Here is most of the boostrapper setup.
    <Chain>
      <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx40ClientWeb" />
      <RollbackBoundary Id="DotNetInstalled" Vital="yes" />
      <MsiPackage
            Id="MyApp"
            SourceFile="MyApp.msi"
            DisplayName="My Application"
            Vital="yes"
            Compressed="yes">
        <MsiProperty Name="INSTALLLOCATION" Value="[InstallFolder]" />
        <MsiProperty Name="LAUNCH_APP" Value="[AutomaticMsiLaunch]" />
      </MsiPackage>
      <RollbackBoundary Id="MyAppInstalled" Vital="yes"/>
      <MsiPackage
            Id="ShellExt"
            SourceFile="MyShellExt.msi"
            DisplayName="My Shell Extension"
            Vital="no"
            Compressed="yes"
      />
      <RollbackBoundary Id="ShellExtInstalled" Vital="no" />
When I run the bootstrapper it asks for admin rights and if I deny admin rights, the whole application fails - even though the MyShellExt.msi is defined as non-vital. I've verified that if I drop the ShellExt part, it will install correctly without the need for admin rights.

Is this possible to implement med with Extended Bootstrapper Application or the standard WiX bootstrapper?

I have tried to experiment with setting different RollbackBoundary, but no success.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM
It is not a feature of the extended bootstrapper but with the standard one have you tried adding an InstallCondition and using the Privileged built-in variable.
Sep 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM
nsleightholm wrote:
have you tried adding an InstallCondition and using the Privileged built-in variable.
If I try to run the installer and do not give the application the admin rights, it seems like the standard bootstrapper interpret it as a cancellation from the user because I end up with the dialog box shown below.

Do I have to build a custom bootstrapper for handle this scenario?
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM
What are you conditions? It might be better to direct these questions to the wix-users group.