WiX 3.8 candle fails on "unexpected attribute 'ShowVersion'"

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM
I am using the RTM 3.8 version of WiX with the bin files extracted locally to the project.

In my Bundle.wxs file, I have the following:
    <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.HyperlinkLicense">
      <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication SuppressOptionsUI="yes"
                                              LicenseUrl=""
                                              LaunchTarget="C:\Program Files (x86)\<snip>\Executable.exe"
                                              LogoFile="logo.png"
                                              ShowVersion="yes" />
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>
When I build it, I get the following:
2>  ..\Tools\WiX\3.8\candle.exe -dDebug -dProductVersion=0.0.0.0 -d"DevEnvDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\\" -dSolutionDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\ -dSolutionExt=.sln -dSolutionFileName=VTS3_Solution.sln -dSolutionName=VTS3_Solution -dSolutionPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\VTS3_Solution.sln -dConfiguration=Debug -dOutDir=bin\Debug\ -dPlatform=x86 -dProjectDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupBootstrapper\ -dProjectExt=.wixproj -dProjectFileName=MonitoringAndControlInstaller.wixproj -dProjectName=MonitoringAndControlInstaller -dProjectPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupBootstrapper\MonitoringAndControlInstaller.wixproj -dTargetDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupBootstrapper\bin\Debug\ -dTargetExt=.exe -dTargetFileName=MonitorAndControlInstaller.exe -dTargetName=MonitorAndControlInstaller -dTargetPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupBootstrapper\bin\Debug\MonitorAndControlInstaller.exe -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.Configuration=Debug -d"MonitoringAndControlIcon.FullConfiguration=Debug|x86" -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.Platform=x86 -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.ProjectDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupDeploy\ -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.ProjectExt=.wixproj -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.ProjectFileName=MonitoringAndControlIcon.wixproj -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.ProjectName=MonitoringAndControlIcon -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.ProjectPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupDeploy\MonitoringAndControlIcon.wixproj -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.TargetDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupDeploy\bin\Debug\ -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.TargetExt=.msi -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.TargetFileName=MonitoringAndControlIcon.msi -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.TargetName=MonitoringAndControlIcon -dMonitoringAndControlIcon.TargetPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupDeploy\bin\Debug\MonitoringAndControlIcon.msi -out obj\Debug\ -arch x86 -ext ..\Tools\WiX\3.8\WixUtilExtension.dll -ext ..\Tools\WiX\3.8\WixNetFxExtension.dll -ext ..\Tools\WiX\3.8\\WixBalExtension.dll Bundle.wxs
2>C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\MonitorAndTestSetupBootstrapper\Bundle.wxs(17,0): error CNDL0004: The bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication element contains an unexpected attribute 'ShowVersion'.
2>Done building project "MonitoringAndControlInstaller.wixproj" -- FAILED.
When I remove ShowVersion="yes", everything works fine, but of course, the version doesn't show. Am I doing something wrong?
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Are you using this extended BA or the standard one in WiX 3.8? The ShowVersion attribute is part of the standard code not this extended one.
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM
I'm only using what is included with the standard WiX distribution. What's weird is that intellisense (through the xsd schema) is ok with ShowVersion="yes", but the candle executable isn't.

This is the first WiX install on this computer, so no previous versions were installed. The Candle.exe is version 3.8.1128.0.

I tried a new WiX project without referencing the local copy of the tools and referred to the globally installed tools, and same result:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
     xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension">
    <Bundle Name="Bootstrapper1" Version="1.0.0.0" Manufacturer="manufacturer" UpgradeCode="11f4f308-a66f-4acb-9457-65a94e278522">

<BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.HyperlinkLicense">
      <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication SuppressOptionsUI="yes"
                                              LicenseUrl="" 
                                              ShowVersion="yes" />
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

<Chain>
      <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx45Redist"/>

<!-- TODO: Define the list of chained packages. -->
            <!-- <MsiPackage SourceFile="path\to\your.msi" /> -->
        </Chain>
    </Bundle>
</Wix>
References to:
WixBalExtension
WixNetFxExtension
Build Results:
------ Build started: Project: Bootstrapper1, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
    C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.8\bin\candle.exe -dDebug -d"DevEnvDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\\" -dSolutionDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\ -dSolutionExt=.sln -dSolutionFileName=VTS3_Solution.sln -dSolutionName=VTS3_Solution -dSolutionPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\VTS3_Solution.sln -dConfiguration=Debug -dOutDir=bin\Debug\ -dPlatform=x86 -dProjectDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\Bootstrapper1\ -dProjectExt=.wixproj -dProjectFileName=Bootstrapper1.wixproj -dProjectName=Bootstrapper1 -dProjectPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\Bootstrapper1\Bootstrapper1.wixproj -dTargetDir=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\Bootstrapper1\bin\Debug\ -dTargetExt=.exe -dTargetFileName=Bootstrapper1.exe -dTargetName=Bootstrapper1 -dTargetPath=C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\Bootstrapper1\bin\Debug\Bootstrapper1.exe -out obj\Debug\ -arch x86 -ext "..\..\..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.8\bin\WixNetFxExtension.dll" -ext "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.8\bin\\WixBalExtension.dll" Bundle.wxs
C:\dev\H-D\VTS\VTS3-mod\Bootstrapper1\Bundle.wxs(7,0): error CNDL0004: The bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication element contains an unexpected attribute 'ShowVersion'.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I think I see the issue, only HyperlinkLargeTheme, HyperlinkSidebarTheme, and RtfLargeTheme support ShowVersion (see http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/bundle/wixstdba/).
Marked as answer by shiften on 1/3/2014 at 3:34 PM
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Indeed so.

Thanks for your help!!