Wix 3.9 compatibility

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:47 AM
Hi,

I am sorry if this is a duplicate but I could not find an answer.

Is there any chance that the project is getting compatible with the newest wix version? What are the problems or is there another similar solution in wix 3.9 that there is no point to continue with the compatibility?

I am a quite unfrequent user of wix, so I am sorry for these silly questions, but I have one older project using wix 3.7 and i would like to update it if possible.

Thanks for answering
Mike
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Main reason for not updating is that most of the function of this are now in the core product. Is there something you are using that is not present?
Feb 2, 2015 at 3:05 PM
Hi Neil,

Great job this Extended Bootstrapper, it is very useful for us.

I have exactly the same question as Santhos.

We are mainly using the Extended Bootstrapper for the support of 2 different install directories.
Now we are forced to upgrade to WiX 3.9, due to the "supportedOS" references in the engine.exe manifest.
This is an obstacle for certifying as a Windows Server 2012 R2 application with Microsoft.
To certify, Windows 8.1 has to be included as a supportedOS for all executables.

I tried using the extension with WiX 3.9.
It builds fine, but causes a crash at runtime / installtime.
I also saw a message from you regarding this in the WiX mailing list.

Should I rebuild the source of the Extended Bootstrapper to the new WiX sources?
How would I have to configure a build environment for this?

Maybe it is possible that you do a rebuild and upload it?
This might be useful for others as well.

Kind regards,

Nick
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM
I have just posted an update version that support WiX 3.9.
Feb 3, 2015 at 6:49 AM
Thank you Neil!

That is very helpful.
I will test it right away.

Kind regards,

Nick
Feb 3, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Hi,

I am sorry for not answering sooner. I was writing about an older project, that I had to update few weeks ago and I did not have the budget to really go through new Wix 3.9 and check the new features. So when I installed the new Wix, I found out that it is not working and couldn't come up fast with a solution, so I went back to Wix 3.7 where I knew my code would work.

I basically only use:
  • the extended bootstraper with a dependency on .NET framework 4
  • theming
  • the version function to generate version numbers - I use it both in the bootstrapper (.exe installer) and in the setup/product definition (.msi installer)
Anyway, thanks for updating the project for the Wix 3.9. Great job!
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM
Hopefully the 3.9 release should work for you. All the features you require are now in the core WiX product, it should be fairly simple to change to them but just referencing the standard UI template.
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM
It certainly works with your updated library. There might be some changes/upgrades coming to the project in the next 6 months so I might have some time to actually update the wxs projects.
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM
After upgrading to WiX 3.9 and replacing the extension DLL it immediately worked like a charm.

Multiple install directories (AFAIK) are not yet supported by the standard bootstrapper application.
Is there any chance this will be integrated in an upcoming WiX release?

Thank you for your very prompt reply.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I doubt it will be in the core product, it should really be more generic and I never really figured out a good scheme for that.